Wednesday, June 16, 2010

4-12-2010

Hey everyone. Sounds like you all had a great week. Ours was another difficult one, but we did see some success.

Towards the beginning of the week, all our appointments just fell through and we lost a lot of investigators, but later in the week, the Lord blessed us and helped us to find some new ones. I think the story that Ill share today is going to be about Alfredo.

Alfredo is a Christian, which isnt the same meaning as in the states. A christian here is a Bible-belt type person. Im sure Steve and Bud can understand. Alfredo isnt as hard headed as some others, and accepted our contact. We, through a lot of scripture reading, were able to show him the need for the Restoration. We comitted him to pray and ask God if these things were true and left the lesson at that. The next day, we went back and found out that he hadnt completed with his commitments. Only that he had read a little bit. I wasnt quite sure what to do in that moment, and less when my Junior companion looked over at me and made that oh so famous ´what do we teach?´ face that everyone knows. So I taught the first thing that came to my mind, Prophets. As I explained the importance of Prophets, I did something that I hardly ever do, I started explaining about the Priesthood. All of a sudden Alfredo got really excited, and after we convinced him through some more scriptures about the importance of the Priesthood he asked us what a person needed in order to recieve the Priesthood. My companion gave me the floor to start teaching, but this time we both knew exactly what we were going to teach. I pulled out a pamphlet of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and we started teaching the 5 steps to return to God. Each step we included that it was necesary in order to recieve the Priesthood. When we got to Baptism, we didnt hesitate to set a date, letting him know that in order to recieve the priesthood, he had to get baptized. Alfredo paused for a moment when we challenged him to be baptized and said, "...Maybe. You know what. Yeah that sounds good. Ill get baptized on that day." Since then, we have been focusing all our teachings on Preparation to recieve the Priesthood. Alfredo couldnt make it to Church on Sunday, so we had to postpone the baptism for a week, but he still is excited and he has started to complete with his commitments. Lets see where this one goes.

We found two others that also seem like they can progress a lot. Norma, and Lucy. Hopefully we will have some good experiences with them in this week and Ill be able to write about their progress.

We are still working with the Agnostic family. To try to understand them a little better, they lent us a few books. Let me just say it is some wierd stuff. The basics seem like you can relate them to the gospel, but I have realized that its just some Chinese Buddist junk.

I heard that on sunday, Elder Miliar, in the Rosa, baptized 6 investigators. Its satisfying for me because him and I were the ones that contacted and taught them. Im happy for him that hes having so much success.

Well thats my week. I hope the story was interesting. I hope you all have a great week.!

Con amor, Elder Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment