Wednesday, June 16, 2010

3/22/2010



Well, another week has flown by! For me it was a long one, getting used to transitions. I figured out that i was so used to La Rosa and the stake there, and my companion, that it really was difficult to make the change. I miss it a bunch, but now im here in Olivos Fresnillo. Elder Knowles, my second companion, is in the zone with me, which makes life a alot easier.

First, my companion. Elder Valencia has about 10 months in the mission. Hes from Veracruz, Mexico, and hes a great guy. Hes really shown how much he cares about all the people in our area, and how much he loves me as a companion. Hes a great teacher and I know im gonna learn a lot from him.

Our area is huge. The biggest one yet. But that doesnt mean that the ward is super strong. Just like all my other areas, the church attendance doesnt exceed 80. What i do like is that I got here and we have a couple great prospects for baptism. If we work hard, we can see 4 or 5 in the next two transfers. Ive only got 4 left, after this one. Its kinda scary to think about. Where did all the time go? Fresnillo, like dad figured out, is flat, and cold. Its kinda nice, because ill miss most of summer and i wont get wrecked by the heat.

This week, we have been working a lot with our progressing investigators. Let me tell you a little about them

Victoria has 2 sons. She, one day, was laying in her bed, thinking about her sons, and started to pray. She asked god if he could help her with her boys. 5 seconds later, the missionaries knocked on the door. I love stories like those. And the fact that i get to participate in something like that just makes me so happy. She has a baptismal date for this sunday. We are going to see if we cant convince her to let her son get baptized with her. I hope it all works out. As far as we can see, theres no problems. Just by saying that, though, Im sure we will get one or two thrown our way before the week ends.

Yolanda is another investigator that told us the other night that she wants to get baptized. The only problem is marriage. Shes not married with her partner yet. She seems really optomistic about it, so we are gonna see what we can do this week to help her out.

Maria has also recieved an answer that this is all true, but she doesnt want to lose her friends and family in the catholic church. That, as ive already written a million times, is the hardest obstacle for people here. We are going to try and read a couple powerful chapters in the BOM this week and see what we can do to help her out.

This week, we worked really hard with them, and spent a little less time looking for new investigators. We also had a really fun trip up to Chichimequillas, a ranch thats in our area. You are all going to be so proud of me when i tell you that i drank milk that hadnt been processed at all. Only boiled. It was gross, but i drank a half glass. Next week we are going up and they are gonna give us Rats. Haha. This is gonna be an adventure.

I spoke this week about missionary work and how our job as desciples of christ is to preach the gospel. I talked about how making simple contacts, with a Testimony and an Invitation can go a long long way. I invite you all to do it too!

Im still learning a lot about my area right now, but ill be sure to inform you all better next week.

Something rediculous that just happened to me last night. I was climbing down from the roof last night, and the ladder slipped and i ate it so hard. Luckily, a convert that just got confirmed yesterday, is a doctor. This morning he put three stitches in my Elbow. Im fine mom dont worry. Its just something to laugh about. Ill send a picture for you all to enjoy.

Great news! Gerardo and Lety and two of their kids got baptized yesterday. I got to talk to Gerardo and congragulate him. That makes me feel so good that he made that decision.

Well have a great week everyone! Love you all!

Con amor, Elder Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment