Saturday, November 14, 2009

9-21-09 "Oh happy day"


We´ve approached another end to a transfer, and its crazy to think about. Time goes faster and faster every week. And it seems a lot easier to get lost in the day and just get sucked in to walking, contacting, and teaching. A lot different from the beginning of the mission when I used to think that days were an eternity. So there we go, we see a little growth right there. I think im a lot more laid back and patient, just because of the culture, which also helps me be happy and just talk.

Dad will remember something ive said to him over a million times, that I used to hate sitting down for more than 20 minutes when we were eating as a family or at some other restaurant. I can happily say that that has changed. Its got something to do with the culture, but now I can sit back and just relax and really talk to people. Its something I really like about the Mexican people. They arent in such a rush to do stuff.

We had a great week. Not a ton of work, but some successes. The first one is just a kind of funny success, which we will see more and more of the fruits later and later. The other week I wrote about the guy who hates our church. Has kicked sister missioneries out of his house with shouting and screaming bad words. Hes also done that to the Elders. Well, he heard my song that I made on the piano, and I guess he likes me. So we decided to take advantage of that and went to his house. Our goal right now is to teach his wife, and when we got there, he just left the room and didn’t want to talk to us. So me being the “innocent” American who “doesn´t understand anything because hes American”, well I decided to invite him in to talk. He came in and sat down next to me and I could tell he was about to say some ugly words, so I threw him a curveball and caught him off guard. I asked “Le gusta la musica no?” You like music right? And he gave me a classic surprised face but it opened up an hour of just talking and him putting in classic music. He had a ton of Eagles and Queen DVDs that he was just dying to show me. Well we talked for him about music. Sang a little. And before you knew it he gave us a good ole smile and said we could come back anytime. Now that for me is progress. Im not sure if that man will ever get baptised, but now at least I know hes not gonna yell and scream at missionaries anymore.

Next success, which to me is something more important than a baptism. We have been working with a less active family, who decided they were going to come back to church and be active again. The father had just returned from the US and started taking his whole family again with the goal of being sealed in the Temple. Two of his sons, one 14, and the other 18, werent really into the church. Actually, they didn’t want anything to do with the church, but went because their dad made them. We have been working with them, and have seen some really amazing changes. They havent missed a day of seminary in 2 weeks and this last Sunday they both got ordained into their offices. Daniel, the 14 year old, to a teacher, and his brother, Angel, to a priest. Elder Pacheco and I were sitting on the stand to bless the sacrament. Elder Pacheco hasn’t had a baptism yet in the mission, but when they called the two brothers to stand and announced that they were going to be set apart, I leaned over and told him that what was happening in that moment, even though it appeared so simple, was way more important and beautiful than a baptism. Its something Ive been learning over these past few months. Of course, the Lord loves us, so he gave us another blessing. After the church services, the same Angel, who got set apart in the 3rd hour, had the opportunity to baptize his dad. It was a great service, and we had 7 investigatores and a ton of members.

So those are some really great successes/blessings we had in this week. With whatever time I have left in this area. A lot of it will be focusing on getting that family prepared to go to the temple. Theres still one son who hasn’t been baptized, so we are also going to start the work with him. They are a really great family and a great example to everyone here in the Ward. If you really want something in the Church or in the family, the Lord is going to make it happen for you. All you have to do is have the faith to do your part, and the trust that the Lord will do his.

It seems like I hardly bear my testimony to everyone, so I should do it right now. But im not gonna do it. Just kidding, I`ll do it.

I know that Jesus Christ is the savior of every single person on this earth. I know that while he suffered in Gethsemane, he thought about each and every one of us. We can ALWAYS rely on him.Even if we feel completely alone.
I know that the Book of Mormon is true. It takes the Bible and expands its teachings in a more simple way, so that anyone who truly studies it can understand the teachings and the gospel of Christ. I know that it can help us fulfil everything we need to do here on this earth, in order to return to our Heavenly Father.
Joseph Smith did see God and Jesus in the Spring of 1820. He conversed with them and received guidance. He later became a prophet and restaured the true church of God to the earth. I know that with all my heart. Joseph Smith restaured all the vital ordinances that we need in order to live in the Celestial Kingdom.
I know that I am a child of God and that he loves me with all his heart. He loves every single one of us. When we choose not to pray, that hurts him, because he wants to listen to our problems, our doubts, our fears, our hopes, our successes. He wants us to turn to him and love him with all our hearts. Why? Because he loves us with all his heart.
The ONLY way to return to him again is through the Atonement. Without it, we are all lost.
There are a lot of other truths ive received here in the mission, but I think what ive written covers them all. Because if we believe in the basics, we believe in the rest.

Have a great week everyone. I love you all. Keep strong and do your part!

Con amor, Elder Turley

PS. Im so strong and cute! Remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment