Saturday, November 14, 2009

10-5-09 "YEARMARK"

Well, its been another quick week, and Im excited to say that this Thursday is my year mark in the mission.

These past couple of weeks ive been reflecting on how much ive changed and what I lack yet as a child of God, and as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder Day Saints. I have realized that in some areas ive grown a ton, while in others, I still need to work in order to see the growth that Id like, but that’s life. Ive learned more discipline and personal confidence. I learned that a testimony is one of the most sacred things that someone can hold. I also learned that it takes time to change. I still make mistakes in my life even as a missionary, and at times it can be frustrating to see myself fall into one of Satans Pitfalls, but I also realize that God is willing to forgive me, no matter what I do, he is always willing to forgive me. To me that’s comforting. Its something Im trying to help others realize in the field that through the atonement of Jesus Christ, we can always be forgiven.

This week, we visited Carlos and Lupe a ton to help them feel ready for their baptisms and make that great covenant with the Lord. Lupe, sadly, fell through again. Im thinking that we are going to give her a little time to grow and to feel more ready to make the decision. Carlos came, just like I knew he would. He was one of those chosen people that was just going to accept the gospel when the time came. I thought his cousin, Gustavo was gonna be the one to baptize him, but with a couple last minute problemillas as we say here, I ended up being the one to Baptize him. I felt great about that, because Im really trying to focus more and finding men who want to accept the Gospel. We had the Baptismal service at the end of the Second Session on Saturday. It was cool, because each companionship in the Zone brought a few investigators to watch the service. We are hoping that at least one of them was touched and decided to make the step.

Conference was great, from what I saw. The Stake wasn’t extremely organized so Elder Moynihan and I decided to assign ourselves as greeters and help people figure out where to go. We missed some talks, but got to see a lot. I really loved the last 3 talks in Priesthood Session. President Monson´s helped me put a few things in perspective.

My new companion is Elder Orcillez. People say that HIS name is harder than mine which is pretty funny to hear, as everyone has a lot of trouble saying my name. I managed to bribe one of the Secretaries of the Mission to get me another name tag. Mom will just love it. Its gonna say Elder Turley Lang. All the Mexican missionaries have two last names, so Im gonna have two last names also. My next project is working on the nametag Elder Lang. We will see if that’s possible, but little by little I think I might just get it. Elder Orcillez is from Mexico City. He is by far the strangest missionary ive met in the mission. I just cant predict this guy. We get along fine and laugh a lot, but Im not sure there is anyone stranger here. We have a goal of 3 baptisms for this change, so hopefully we can accomplish that.


Well, after Thursday, its all downhill from here. Have a great time in Moab, Im gonna make sure it’s the last one I ever miss.

Have a great week everyone

Con amor, Elder Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment