Monday, April 13, 2009

Another change in paradise

4-13-2009

I was planning on leaving today. In fact. I had packed a lot sunday
afternoon, because I thought I was going to
get transfered, but no. I get at least another 6 weeks here in Parras. To be
honest Im thrilled. There
are so many great people here, and we have a lot of great investigators.

This week was nuts! So many people from Monterrey and other parts of mexico
came in to ruin Parras for a week.
All everyone did was drink and party and yell at the missionaries. We didnt
have alot of success this week.
For example. The Priesthood session of conference had an asistence of 4
people. 2 of which were missionaries.
One was the Branch President and the other, the Young Mens President. I was
really disapointed, but we will
keep pushing on. I actually had a really great experience with this one
investigator Berenice.

We had set up an appointment with her and Edain, another investigator. We
went over to Edains house, but Edain
had to go for a few minutes to pick up a friend. We sat on the porch and
talked with Berenice, who is a Jehovas
Witness about Jesus and how he was the God of the Old Testament. It was
actually really easy to show her, and
she was really receptive. Once Edain came back we all went into the house,
but Edain decided to leave. Fortunately
her brother and mom came in and started playing the guitar with Elder
Knowles. He did really well to start a
discussion about the Prophet with those two, while Berenice and I chatted
about Jesus. We talked about my favorite
part of the atonement. Comfort. I shared with her how i first got a
testimony of Christ, and that led into a
discussion about if we have him as a base in our lives, and build a
relationship. We can learn so much more and
recieve so many answers through prayer. After that, we talked about how she
had recieved an answer that the Church
was true, and so her and I read a bit out of the Bible just to reassure her
that she had recieved an answer. Then
the discussion went to how once we recieve an answer, we need to act on it
quickley before we start to forget, and
we talked about baptism, set a goal for us to achieve, and that was that.
Textbook Preach My Gospel right there,
but honestly prolly one of the most memorable lessons I will have had in
Parras. I love just sitting down with
an investigator, and, when the circumstances are right, having a one on one,
deep discussion about things that
matter in this life and the next. Im glad I get another 6 weeks to achieve
the goal that we set together that
night.

Well theres my spiritual story. As for easter, my companion and I forgot
about it until we were sitting watching
a conference session at church. We ate dinner with the Fuantos, chicharron.
Its pig, but not the good part. I
ate the whole thing. I think youll all be surprised by the time I get back
at what I can get down my throat.

Anyways. I love life, I can speak spanish, and Ill keep chugging along. Im a
4th of the way through the mission,
and the time has flown by so quickly.

Aunt Leslie and Aunt Laurie thanks for sending the emails. I love you!

Have a great week, and I cant wait to read more next week!

Con amor, Elder Turley

No comments:

Post a Comment